Thursday, November 5, 2009

Finished!

firstblouse

From concept to finished piece, I'm happy to report that I finally finished my blue heron, silk screened blouse. I screen printed the design a long time ago, but I was a little nervous about sewing the pieces together. I'm a novice at sewing and this is the first garment that I've ever sewn, so every time the thread got tangled on my machine, or I was confused about how to attach the sleeves, I put it aside and did what I do best: I procrastinated! ;)

Now that it's done and I can focus on other projects, I feel silly for all that worry. When we were creative as children did we fret about a finger painting not turning out exactly right? Okay, maybe some of us did, but it was silly and counter-productive then and it's the same now. So often, it seems, our creative endeavors are stunted by our "mind-forged manacles."

So my blouse is finished and it turned out pretty close to what I originally envisioned. I widened the bottom part a bit because I was imagining a trapeze bottom over leggings, and I made cap sleeves instead of using elastic. Of course, I can see all the little flaws, but I really learned a lot and look forward to future projects. Yay!

5 comments:

  1. Congtats, bb! The blouse looks great. Watching the evolution of your idea has been impressive and inspiring. Please keep up the good work! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks, bb. I was inspired by your wonderful photography. I'll never forget seeing that heron next to the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was inspired by your wonderful photography

    Well, thank you, bb! That heron was pretty cool- just hanging out by the side of the road, checking out the passing cars. And then we saw another one in the Arboretum a few weeks later. I got even better pictures of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. Cap sleeves are so much more flattering. The design is so simple and refreshing. Yes - I can imagine it with leggings. There is something so graceful and still about herons.

    ReplyDelete