Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Happy Holidays Everyone!



Nothing says the holidays like kissing turtles, right? Okay, explanation to follow. I created this card using my favorite printmaking gizmo: my Gocco. In case you're unfamiliar with this device, a Gocco (pronounced Go-ko) is a self-contained screen printing device made in Japan. They're heading towards obsolescence due to a multitude of new printmaking options, but they're still a lot of fun.
Here's what it looks like:
gocco
You use two bulbs (they kinda look like old school camera flashbulbs) to burn the screen of a photocopy of your artwork. This is where the obsolescence comes in. Not only because of the bulbs, but you can't use your basic ink jet printer because the heat of the bulbs is attracted to the carbon on photocopies. It burns through a thin layer of plastic on the screen and gives you your image. looking at the burned screen
After you've burned your screen the fun begins. You apply ink to the screen (underneath an acetate cover) and, well, just start printing. It's fun and easy and a little less hit or miss than regular screen printing. Plus the cleanup is incredibly easy. DSCN0442DSCN0449 DSCN0443
Okay, so why kissing turtles? Well, why not? Actually, Barry took this awesome pic of two turtles on one of our walks in Golden Gate Park. barry's kissing turtles
I was talking about what to do for our holiday cards and absently browsing his flickr page and admiring the cute turtle pic. Barry suggested adding mistletoe to make it more Christmasy, and this is when I had one of those moments where I, once again, felt thankful that I had managed to find the perfect mate. Not only is my husband incredibly adorable and sweet and talented, but he's also quite clever. So I did a couple of drawings. sketches to finished product
But the drawings looked too boring and conventional, so I scanned them into Illustrator and did a live trace. Then I played around with the image until I got something I liked - kind of a 70s or early 80s clip art thing. It's kind of sweet and off beat, just like me and my furry husband.

So happy holidays everyone! If you're interested in Gocco art, there is some amazing work being done with these little devices. Just enter "gocco" into flickr or etsy or pretty much anywhere and you're sure to be amazed and inspired. Wishing everyone happiness and turtle kisses and inspiration in the new year!

1 comment:

  1. Aw, thanks for the kind words, bb. And the cards are awesome! You're amazing. I'm the luckiest turtle in the pond! Merry Christmas, bb!!

    (Note to readers: when Donna says I'm "furry", she doesn't mean I like to dress up in animal costumes, if you know what I mean. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. She's simply referring to my beard).

    Happy Holidays, everybody!

    ReplyDelete