Thursday, May 13, 2010

Succulents!

I found some lovely and fascinating succulents recently. Lots of different shapes -- all with red-tipped "fingernails." Barry and I love to go to the Arboretum in Golden Gate Park to take pictures and find inspiration, and that's where I found some really pretty ones.

(Side note: if you live in San Francisco and like to visit the Arboretum, they are trying to propose an admission fee once again. If you would like to learn more or become involved (or both), check out keeparboretumfree.org. Nice folks doing good work.)

Anyway, looks like everything will be underlined for the rest of this post. Not because I'm particularly emphatic about what I'm writing, but because I seem to have hit something and can't figure out how to make it stop. If there's anyone out there reading this, feel free to pass along any blogger/html tips. They will be appreciated.

So back to succulents... I started with some sketches. I wanted lots of warm and cool greens in one plant. DSCN0749

I also like the little cabbage shaped ones:
DSCN0750

I was itching to screen print and found some nice, off white linen to provide a neutral background. I figured that simple, cut-away stencils might be kind of perfect for this design.
DSCN0753
DSCN0755
DSCN0756

The first finished product:
DSCN0760

Definitely want to try this one again and explore more design possibilities. I don't actually mind that the registration is so far off (on the red tips) because the surprises are what makes screen printing so fun. Plus, it's only a bit of fabric and some paper. Why not play a bit?

No comments:

Post a Comment