Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Gocco: A Disaster of Epic Proportions!

Nothing like a little hyperbole to start off a blog post. Actually, I did think I ruined my gocco. Here's what happened: In my eagerness to start printing I forgot to add the screen when I burned my screen. See the photo below.

tragedy!

What happens is the carbon from the photocopy fuses the image to the plastic window. I tried to clean it, starting with the least abrasive method I could think of (glass cleaner and a paper towel) but it didn't work. Then I consulted The New Gocco Guide, by Claire Russel, and she advised that I'd have to replace the window. That's really not an option for me at this time. So I was pretty bummed, but I figured I didn't have anything left to lose and tried cleaning the window using a combination of screen cleaner and a scrub sponge (mildly abrasive). In retrospect, I wish I had started with the screen cleaner and maybe a gentler abrasive like baking soda. Shoulda, woulda, coulda...

So everything turned out alright, and I have a theory about that, but first here's a quick montage of the process:

goccomb
My theory is that the gocco screen burning process is activated by heat rather than light. Therefore, if the screen is scratched and/or cloudy it won't affect the image because it is the heat of the bulbs that melt the thin layer of plastic film on the screen. That's just my theory.

thank you card

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad the gocco isn't junk-o. And I'm digging your theory.

    I'm also digging your gocco step-breakdown montage-thing!

    ReplyDelete