Friday, February 25, 2011

Isabelle de Borchgrave

isabel2

I saw the Pulp Fashion exhibit at the Legion of Honor the other day and was blown away. Looking at Isabelle de Borchgrave's paper garments is satisfying on so many levels. First, there is the simple pleasure of looking at something so beautiful. Simple as that. This is followed by a an admiration of her masterful knowledge of art history, garment making, painting and manipulating paper. Finally, there is something just so unapologetic and free about her work. It's not weighed down by a lot of heavy concepts. I suppose if her pieces had a utilitarian purpose, they would be considered craft. I've always felt that craft should have a place in the fine art world, and I suppose there are many examples where it does. I guess, for me, it was just nice to see such an elegant reminder of mastery and beauty for beauty's sake.

isabel1

Check out her website if you want to look at a lot of pretty. Even the pictures of her giant studio with tons of books and paper are inspiring.

isabel3

No comments:

Post a Comment