Friday, March 25, 2011

A Contest!

DSCN1744

I was just reading a post about procrastination (yes, by doing so I was putting off some research I needed to do) and had light bulb moment. It was a Top Ten Tips post and number seven was, "Figure out what motivates you." At first I thought it was kind of a useless tip, but then it made me think, "What exactly is it that motivates me?" The first thing that came to mind was, surprisingly, not money. It was positive feedback.

Last weekend I received a lovely compliment from a stranger on some earrings that I've been obsessively making for the last few weeks. Even though I had been planning to set up an Etsy shop, that little bit of positive feedback caused me to spring into action and work at a much quicker pace (making, photographing, researching, etc.) than I had been working at before. In fact, that one little compliment gave me the courage to walk into an indie crafts shop on my lunch hour and inquire about meeting with the manager to look at my earrings - to get even more feedback!

I've never held a contest before, so I'm kind of winging it here. First prize is the earrings shown above. I'll use a random number generator to pick the winner. All you have to do is leave a comment with any of the following:
a.) Your best tip for combating procrastination.
b.) What motivates you?
c.) Some constructive feedback on my jewelry. If you really hate it, it's probably not going to help motivate me to put myself out there. Moreover, if you hate my stuff than why would you bother entering a contest where the first prize is a pair of my earrings? (Just hit the link on the sidebar to go to my Etsy shop.

The contest will go from today until Friday (4/1) at 1:00 p.m. Please leave your email or some sort of contact, so I can notify the winner. Or if you prefer, you can email me privately at duckndam@gmail.com Good luck!
(Yay! This is so exciting!)
Addendum: Due to popular demand (har har), I'm extending the contest through the weekend. I'll draw a winner on Monday. Thanks to Karen and Nikki for their sweet comments.

3 comments:

  1. You found my motivating factor...contests! I was always a big grab bag buyer as a kid, spending my hard-earned allowance on the chance of a great win. Anyway, I love your earrings! How come I didn't know you were selling on Etsy? Such a talented person you are and now I know how to spend my week off...shopping! You have such beautiful color combinations. Keep up the beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...what motivates me?? Deadlines, positive feedback, selling a piece, a beautiful day, other artists, flowers and mountains, music and of course, coffee!

    Your earrings are gorgeous and unique. I love the lightness of them even though they are a good size. I think it would be nice to have some smaller ones as well for those who like petite size earrings. I love that you are using shrinky dinks! You are a very talented, crafty lady and i love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Procrastination, I love it, what is wrong with it. I procrastinate because I work best when under pressure. Motivate-chocolate anything chocolate but really as you know I am a big believer in volunteering. I am motivated when I know that I have done something to help someone who is really in need. Constructive feeback, well that is hard to do when your work is so beautiful. I love the colors, the peacefullness of your designs. I already own a few of your earings but now that I know that you are on Etsy, I will own more. I love handmade jewelry, I love wearing things that are designed by the artist themselves. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete