Monday, July 18, 2011

Making Monday

elephant_wrap

A little while ago I got overwhelmed and fell into a funk and stopped working on my projects. It was only when I started getting back into them that I realized the connection between making (learning new things, crafting) and happiness...at least for me. So in order to add a little structure to my life and make time for making, I've designated Monday (a day off work for me) as Making Monday. I'm going to try to work on laundry, errands, etc., on other days, so I can really focus on learning a new technique, craft, etc. on Mondays.

So to kick off my new commitment to making, I started with something fairly easy - a wrap bracelet. I found a tutorial on the aptly titled blog Making Bracelets Blog. It never ceases to amaze me how generous bloggers, particularly makers/crafters, are with their knowledge and expertise.

So it was loads of fun to relax and learn how to make something. I used the recommended waxed Irish linen, which is a very satisfying material to work with. Not only is it inexpensive and comes in a variety of colors (I spent 75 cents on materials because I had everything else at home), but it's super malleable (kind of like dental floss) and ties, beads and knots easily. The elephant button was a poor choice because the loop needs to follow a smooth edge, but it's so cute I couldn't resist. It just requires a bit more patience when I put it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment