Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Doing My Own Thing

DSCN2709
     I'm working on lots of new items for the trunk show (at 1767 Waller @ Stanyan) this weekend. Earlier this week, I had a bit of inspiration overload - you know where you have too many ideas and see too many things you like - but I'm finally feeling like it's all coming together in that it looks like the same person made all this stuff.
     It's funny because while it's great to have the internet and get to see all of amazing things that talented people are making, it can also slow you down. Even paralyze you. And the worst...you can start to emulate (read: copy) what others are making because it's just so lovely and you think, I can make that. Tempting as it is, it's SO much more satisfying to do your own thing. So here's a sneak peak at a few new things I've been working on: DSCN2710
     Remember the wooden beads I dyed? I was going to use them to make a garland or wreath, but I just really loved how rich and velvety they looked. The charm is part of a design I created that wasn't working. I played around with it by cutting it into pieces and now I'm liking it much better. DSCN2713
     I've been really into creating patterns lately, and this one is definitely my favorite. I love how it kind of looks like a granny floral from a distance, but then when you get close up you (hopefully) see my sea urchin inspiration.
     Anyway, these are just a few little things that I've been working on. I'm trying to stay true to myself and make fun, colorful inexpensive things that aren't too serious. After all, it's just plastic and wood.

2 comments:

  1. Great pics and great jewelry, bb! I'm looking forward to this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The earrings look great. beautiful patterns and colors.

    ReplyDelete