Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Craft Bar Last Week

embroidered necklace moodboard

So the Etsy Craft Bar at the MOCFA was a lot of fun. If you're ever considering attending one of these events I'd definitely recommend going for it. It was great to see so many people excited about making something with their hands. Diana Rupp was super nice and enthusiastic. She even taught us a cool french knot trick. And her project could not be easier:

1.) Cut out a flower or other interesting piece of fabric and interface (to prevent fraying).
2.) Embellish with beads and/or embroidery thread. Whip stitch to another piece of interfaced fabric or felt. (I inserted a stiff piece of watercolor paper to make it extra sturdy.)
3.) Sew two jump rings on the back and add a cord.

I think this kind of project has a lot of possibilities. I always thought that embroidery was a very precise craft, so I was surprised by the amount of leeway and room for experimentation. Just go for it and have fun. If you do want to learn real embroidery techniques, however, her book looks like it would be good for beginners. There is even a page with pre punched holes to help with certain stitches. Sometimes I find that illustrations and photographs aren't always clear, so I think this idea is pretty genius!

This is also a good project because you're likely to have the supplies on hand - fabric scraps, paper, cord. I'm thinking it might make a fun craft night party project.

No comments:

Post a Comment