Thursday, March 15, 2012

Salt Water

mae_chevrette

I love how simple and true this quote is.  And the gorgeous image by mixed media artist, Mae Chevrette, is a perfect visual accompaniment.

Speaking of Isak Dinesen, I watched Out of Africa the other day for the first time. I had always resisted seeing it because, to me,  it's one of those movies that feels familiar even if you haven't seen it. Also, watching a romantic movie with Meryl Streep and Robert Redford feels a little like watching your parents make out. Ew.

Anyway, I can't believe how much I liked it. Watching Karen Blixen's (Dinesen's) journey to self awareness and acceptance was so satisfying. Already a rather unconventional woman when she arrives in Africa, she still tries to hold onto some conventions (both ideas like marriage and independance and actual things like her Limoges porcelain) but her environment and the people she meets open her eyes up to other ways of thinking and teach her what is most valuable. Awesome.

And even though a lot of it is about not placing so much value on things, if you're fascinated with interiors like I am there's a lot of eye candy.

2 comments:

  1. Donna, thanks so much for blogging about my art!! I really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure! Love your work!

    ReplyDelete