Sunday, December 29, 2013

Happy New Year! Part 2


Wow, two blog posts in a row. I can hardly believe it myself. But as I mentioned yesterday, this time of year puts me in a reflective mood. So there you are.

It's funny because at first glance it seemed like the whole year was about me being busy-busy and having no time to focus on my creative needs. It's true, getting back into the 9-5 grind, which, for most folks, is more of a 6 to 7 grind given travel time, etc., was very tough. So I spent the first part of the year continuing with the not-so-new-anymore job, which has been going well,  and finally felt confident enough to drop my 2nd job (my  weekend job) in the early spring. Finally being able to make that step to slow down made such a huge difference. In July, I discovered Paper 53 and Tumblr and used them to do quick, small ipad drawings and blog them in a drawing a day series. It was perfect for my busy schedule, and I fell in LOVE with the Paper 53 app. It made drawing fun and intimate for me again. I could paint and draw anywhere with my ipad, and my toolbox contained a multitude of colors and tools that I could call upon at any moment. I also discovered so many artists and curators out there on Tumblr - they blew me away.




The best part about cultivating the habit to try to do a drawing every day, was how it allowed my mind to finally relax and finally wander. So important. Sketches, doodles, meanderings - whatever you want to call them - allow your mind the freedom to consider new ideas.  Now I'm just so full of new ideas that I can't wait to actually try making them. I'm realistic enough to know that it's a lot easier to dream up ideas - the execution part can get a bit tricky. However, I'm really looking forward to the challenge.

So yay for 2013. It was a lot more creative and fulfilling than I could ever have imagined. The best part - I'm even MORE excited for 2014.

Happy 2014 to you all! May the new year be filled with many magnificent ideas and inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment