Wednesday, May 28, 2014

arms: most of us have two, usually facing opposite directions.

 IMGP0279

What a fun week! I've been sewing up a storm, burning through my stash, making a mess, poking myself with pins, and having a great time. I found a great pattern that's simple enough for a beginner - no closures - from Skinny Bitch Curvy Chick Patterns. Finding patterns that are not only cute, but designed for petites AND come in sizes that accommodate a large bust - well, it's a godsend. Sewing is already overwhelming for a beginner without having to monkey around with FBAs. (FBA = full bust adjustment. Yep, getting hip with the sewing lingo.)

I'm struggling a bit with wrapping my head around the geometry of garment construction - making something that's flat fit a round form. Is it just me or do instructions for attaching sleeves get glossed over a lot in sewing books? This seems like the hardest part of construction - yet most diagrams make it look so easy. This pattern (Mimosa) has raglan sleeves, which are supposed to be easier, but I still keep getting tripped up - hence the title for this post and also my new mantra for considering the symmetry of the human body.

IMGP0291

This one's in linen, which, of course, frayed like crazy. But I love the feel of linen and think it'll be great for summer. I'm envisioning a clean, organized closet, full of simple minimalistic looks, where everything is visible and visually appealing.  I don't know how realistic that is with my lack of storage space and crazy Murphy door closet that swings halfway open on either side like a Scooby Doo bookshelf door. (Kind of hard to explain. I should take a picture.) But organizing and decluttering my life seems like a healthy distraction.

IMGP0308

This red one is the last one I made. I used some cheapo fabric I bought years ago that itches a little. I wanted to play around with it since it had a border running along the bottom. Maybe it will get softer, and itch less, as I wash it. I hope so because I really felt cute wearing it today.

I will take pictures wearing my new garments at some point. Part of what is driving me to sew right now is that I want to develop a healthy body image. I think it's helpful to know my measurements.  Right now, though, I'm still taking baby steps. 



No comments:

Post a Comment