Tuesday, August 19, 2014

One More Baby

IMGP0488

I wasn't planning another blog post so soon, but I just picked up my last piece from the ceramic studio so I thought I'd share it. I took a six week beginning clay course at The Clay Underground, which is an awesome working space for many fine artists, as well as a class/studio space for novices like myself. I had a lot of fun playing in the mud and finished with a pretty impressive haul. :)

IMGP0496

If you live in the Bay Area and you do decide to take the class, I would recommend that you take advantage of the studio hours because six weeks really flies by. My teacher was super knowledgeable and helpful and definitely there to show us different techniques, but I appreciated the loose structure of the class in that we could move in whatever direction we were inclined to go. To me, ceramics class feels like Montessori for grown ups and just made for such a soothing way to end my day.

 It's funny because, on one hand, I felt a little split because I'm putting so much time and energy into learning to sew garments, but I also appreciated being creative in a different way. Sarai from Coletterie wrote quite eloquently about the similarities here, which I found fascinating, but I also really appreciated the differences. With clay I got to be a little messy and loose. Whereas the mess of sewing stresses me out  - can't find pattern pieces, scraps of fabric and thread everywhere, etc. Also, sewing requires a lot of planning; clay can start off as one thing and very easily turn into something different.*

 I think, overall, it's just good to obey the call or desire, or whatever you call it, to make. When I was younger, I wasted a lot of time worrying about whether I was good at this or that. Now I worry less about that and care less what other people think and just appreciate all the joy making things brings to me. I guess I am learning as I get older after all.


IMGP0500

 (Just to be clear, I'm in no way saying that ceramicists or sculptors or any other artists act like children or don't give their work a lot of forethought. I'm merely describing my own approach as someone dabbling in a new form of making.)

No comments:

Post a Comment