How do you like my creative title? I almost always do what I say I'm going to do but sometimes it just takes me a while to get around to it. Too many ideas floating around my head makes it hard to focus sometimes. But fortunately, this is not one of those times. I knew I wanted to sew more of that pretty rayon challis from my birthday blouse and I knew it was going to be a pajama set. I'm glad I didn't procrastinate on this one. I was envisioning something along the lines of Grainline's Lakeside pjs, but, honestly, I didn't want to purchase a pattern just for sleepwear. (Trust me, I will be supporting Grainline and other great patternmakers for future makes. I'm already dreaming about making an Archer.)
The camisole is a freebie from Sewloft - the Diana Cami. Lovely, drapey, nice and simple. I took the easy route with the straps by using store bought bias tape. If it turns out to be too scratchy I can always make some fabric straps. I did, however, make matching bias tape to bind the top part of the camisole.
Speaking of Grainline, the bottom is the Maritime Shorts without the waistband, pockets, and front zip. When I sewed them up as shorts they were super big on me, so I had a hunch that I could add a simple elastic channel to turn them into boxers. My hunch was right. :)
It's pretty hard to distinguish between the front and the back of the shorts, so I made a little tag. I was feeling reckless and stamped the piece of twill tape with fabric paint after my tag was sewn into the back seam allowance. It serves me right that it's not a clean print. I really should have practiced and stamped a number of pieces and then sewn a nice clean print into my garment. Shoulda Woulda Coulda. Still looks cute, though.
While poking around my sewing supplies I discovered that I had a rolled hem foot, so I used it to make a baby hem with some degree of success. It's not quite right, but I like how this foot makes it easy to sew right up to the very edge. I'll definitely give it another go.
Just a few quick notes/reminders:
- I had a terrible time attaching the bias binding to the top of the cami, especially going around the front and back curves, because my thread kept jamming up. I did two things: Raised my tension a little and fashioned a little felt-like circle and placed it underneath my thread spool to keep my spool from jumping and over-spinning.
- In retrospect, I wish I had taken more care with the elastic channel. I need a timer or something that forces me to stop working on a project when I start getting sloppy or think about taking shortcuts. Also, I hate that I didn't change out my serger thread and the dark color shows.
- Side seams for cami and shorts are french. Seemed like the obvious choice. The only eyesore is the serged on channel.