Monday, September 1, 2014

Post Vacation Indian Summer

IMGP0640

I knew I wanted to make something this weekend before getting back into the daily grind, but I just couldn't decide what to make. I had five days in Kauai to think about it and I STILL couldn't decide. I really do get paralyzed sometimes, even after thinking about what to make all day. So many decisions.

IMGP0628

Anyhoo, so I opted for the wonderful, practically instant gratification that is the Julia cardigan. When I made it the last time, I knew there would be another. For one, you can do the whole thing on a serger, so you can whip one up in no time. In this case, I started it around noon and wore it to a get-together just hours later. This is such a practical make for me. While I may only wear a Hawaiian print top once in a while, I know I'll wear this a lot.

A few quick notes:
  • This is a stretch rib - a remnant from Britex. It is so unbelievably soft. 
  • I strayed a bit from the pattern because I didn't have enough fabric. I had 2 & 1/8 yards at 42" width and the double folded hem really does require a lot of fabric. So I wound up folding the neck and back part in half like a tee shirt hem. It's actually nice because the shawl collar isn't quite so bulky. Usually these kinds of rash decisions end up ruining my projects, but this one actually worked out. 
  • I think that's it. I love the color and versatility.
Here's a non-sewing share....
IMG_0329

I painted this on our lanai with a combo of gouache and colored pencils. I'm so happy I thought to bring a watercolor block and paints on my trip. Obviously, I was inspired by the Kauai's verdant beauty, and, probably obviously, I'm not very experienced at painting with gouache. I learned many years ago in a very different way. This time I treated them a bit like an easier form of watercolors.

IMGP0626

Now I have a meaningful souvenir, and I hope that every time I look at it I will be reminded of the peace that can be found when I stop for a moment, breathe, and take in the beauty of my surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment