Monday, January 19, 2015

Undies: The Sequel

IMGP1120

Hello Lovely People! Just a brief post to record my experiences with  another undies pattern. Wait..."brief post" ...I swear I'm not trying to come up with underwear puns. Honestly! :)

I went ahead and purchased the Grace Hipster pattern from OhhhLuLu like I said I would. I was intrigued by the possibilities of mixing woven with knits. I know they look considerably larger than my previous pairs, but I think that's because the front and back are from woven fabric. They are the same size (XL) as the others I've made. (It might be hard to tell the size just by itself, but trust me, they look almost comically larger when placed next to my other pairs - like clown undies.)

This is my test pair. I'm wearing them right now, and so far they feel very comfortable. I'll be sure to include an addendum after I've worn them all day and ran around at work, etc.  - not just sitting around my apartment on a holiday. For future undies, I'd like to purchase some stretch lace - like the pretty examples in Sarah's Etsy shop - but I'm currently on a scrap busting mission, so that will have to wait.

  • I used my serger for most of it, and that seemed to work out well since woven seams need to be finished. 
  • The only thing I don't like is the size (height) of my zig zag; it's way too big. I'll have to change that for next time. 
  • That and not use black serger thread next time. 
  • Very important: The Grace pattern has a 1/2 inch seam allowance and the Lola pattern is 3/8. Just good to remember since it's easy to lump pattern brands together in terms of seam allowances. Probably has to do with the woven fabric factor.
  • The hibiscus Hawaiian rayon challis is my final bit of fabric from a Wanderlust splurge several months ago. I ended up making a top, camisole, boxer shorts (sleep shorts for me), and now this pair of knickers out of it. Not bad.
  • The radiant orchid knit is actually ribbing that I reused from a failed project. It may not have been the best thing to use as it has a tendency to stretch out. We'll see.


Well, have a lovely week and thanks so much for reading. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment