Sunday, February 1, 2015

In the Works

IMGP1131

Hello! Hope you're doing well on this gorgeous Sunday. I managed to finish a project this weekend and plan to share it in my next post. Right now, though, I think I'll just share some new fabrics and maybe brainstorm about what I might do with my lovely textiles.

I haven't made too many things lately because I'm usually too spent when I come home from work. But I still spend a lot of time thinking about what I'd like to make. Actually, there's nothing better at the end of a long day than curling up on the couch with my ipad, a notebook and some markers or colored pencils. Are you a sketcher or a listmaker? I think I'm a combination of the two. Do you have any favorite tools for planning projects?

Recent Fabric Purchases

Seeing my recent fabric purchases all together like this really hits home the fact that I shop so randomly. These four fabrics have nothing in common. Maybe I should work through the Wardrobe Architect exercises to hone my style.  Oh well, I really like all four fabrics even if they're totally different and will not turn into garments I can wear together.

Top Row:
  1. An awesome reversible plaid from Fabric Outlet. 50% off, so 4.44 a yard. It's actually two different plaids in a very loose weave sewn together. Like double gauze, maybe it even is double gauze and just wasn't labeled as such at the store. I've already made something with this.
  2. Robert Kaufman shirting in a pretty shade of rose - or maybe it's a chambray - from Fabric Outlet.  After making my polka dot Bruyere, I totally get the Robert Kaufman love. So when I see it in a great color at Fabric Outlet for 8.99 a yard x 25% off, I'm all over that shit. This will be some sort of button-up - maybe another Bruyere if I can find something else for the yoke, placket, etc.
Okay, these next two, are expensive (for me) fabrics I wouldn't normally buy, but I had a Britex gift certificate from Christmas and decided to buy fabric that I had a visceral response to as opposed to something practical or having a project in mind. It seemed more in keeping with the spirit of a gift.

Bottom Row:
  1. First one is 100% rayon, woven, 2 yrds @18.99 per yard, with pretty, pretty butterfly wings. I'm thinking a Sutton blouse, but maybe that would be too much large pattern for my short frame? It would make a really lovely skirt, but I hardly ever wear skirts. I'll have to sit on this one for a while.
  2. Next, it's another rayon, 2 yards at 25.99 per yard, but this time it's a stretch fabric. I love love love the colors and the blurry/focus, almost Monet/ Water Lillies vibe. Absolutely no clue what I will do with it. Maybe a simple shift dress?
Well, please feel free to let me know if you have any ideas. I'm looking forward to sharing my latest project with you, but the sun went down before I had a chance to photograph it. Have a lovely, lovely week. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment