Monday, February 16, 2015

Nothin' but Love

IMGP1186

Hello there! Hope you had a fab weekend.  So as you can see from the above pic (and if you've followed my most recent posts) I have caught the lingerie-making bug. Although making my own bras would require a feat of engineering that I'm not quite ready for, a bralette for sleeping in is a new and intriguing idea to me. This is the Florence bralette from Colette Pattern's Seamwork magazine. Have you tried any of the Seamwork patterns? I really love having a subscription and the surprise each month of two new patterns. So far, I have loved all the patterns and hope to make the Madrid tote and the Oslo sweater as soon as I have the right materials on hand. 

IMGP1189

Okay, back to my bralette. This is not something I can wear out of the house as it doesn't provide the necessary support. Sarai suggests that a bralette can work well, even for larger bust sizes, as something to lounge in and as sleepwear. Like I said, I'm intrigued by the concept. Plus, it's so pretty!

IMGP1187

I also think it's a great way to test the bra-making waters without getting in too deep with expensive bra- making supplies. The cost of materials was next to nothing. I picked up the stretch lace at Fabric Outlet at 40% off a while back - so, less than two dollars. The burgundy bamboo rayon knit was a scrap that I'm grateful I didn't toss. The straps, including the rings and sliders, were harvested from an old bra that I never wore because it didn't fit correctly. I used foldover elastic from my stash for the side of the cups and the bottom band. It's not the correct type of elastic to use but worked out okay, I think. Even after cutting down the size of the band, it was still too big, which is why the elastic is gathered at the bottom. But I actually like it as a ruffle. Next time I will pay more attention to where the panels of lace are sewn together by the manufacturer. I've got a seamline down the middle of one cup as a result, which is unfortunate.

Overall, a very fun project  - quick and pretty and there's something so lovely about making pretty undergarments for yourself that encourages a healthy body image.

IMGP1177

Here's something pretty that I didn't make - one of two beautiful necklaces from my Valentine. Usually we just make each other cards, but this year I got sort of obsessed with looking at pretty pieces on Etsy and sort of sent him a bunch of links thus dropping giant hints. It's a Peruvian opal, by jewelry artist Alexis Russell, and I think it's amazing and looks almost topographical.

So that's the latest with me. Have you caught the lingerie bug yet? Hope you have a fantastic week. Don't forget to do something nice for yourself!

5 comments:

  1. I just printed this pattern to try -- it will be my first Seamwork! Yours looks great -- I don't have any stretch lace so I was going to try it with jersey and pre-made straps. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful bra! I've never thought of wearing something without underwires, but like you said: good for lounging and to test the bra making waters. Pretty jewelry, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Annie and Tanya! I was also thinking it might not be too hard to make an empire waist nightie with this pattern. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am planning on making this one up soon! Your's is so gorgeous. I love the colour combination. :) And that necklace.... love! I can see why you were dropping hints for that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Andie! I hope to see yours when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete