Sunday, March 15, 2015

Thinking about Spring

IMGP1226

Hello! Hope you're doing great. This is another in-progress/ruminating post because I just haven't had the time I'd like to make stuff and finish projects. I've spent the last couple of weekends improving my InDesign skills for work. It's actually been great, and I can already see a vast improvement in my work, but, you know, something's gotta give.

Before I start describing my little sketch, which is actually pretty self explanatory given the accompanying notes, I want to say how very nice it was to be featured on Rhonda's Creative Life. How very cool! Being able to connect with people who also like to make things is one of the major reasons I wanted to blog in the first place. Thank you, Rhonda and other fellow creatives, for letting me know that I'm not just shouting into a void.

Okay, here's another UFO from several weeks back...

IMGP1227

I'm SO close to being finished with this project. It's the Deer and Doe Bruyere bodice combined with a Deer and Doe Sureau skirt. Put those two together and what do you have? A shirt dress, that's what! I can't take credit for the idea, though. I saw a beautiful version on the lovely blog - La Couture Rose.
BTW, do you ever look at blogs in foreign languages? I may not speak or understand French, but that doesn't stop me from admiring all the pretty things this lady makes.

I added in-seam pockets and lined the skirt. Still need to hem the bottom and sleeves, add buttons/holes, etc. The dress is already a perfect length, so I'd like to create bias binding for the hem with my scraps.

I really should hurry up and finish it before it's completely out of season. The only thing I don't like about this so far is the shade of grey. I love warm greys and charcoals, but there's something about this shade that I have negative associations with - like pollution or ashes or something. I'm trying to think of a color for tights or a cardigan to brighten it up; so far I can only imagine aubergine.

Speaking of colors I love, here's something else I'm dreaming about:

IMGP1225

I really want to make a triangle quilt in these colors. Right now Beej and I are constantly fighting over the couch throw that's not quite big enough for both of us. So right now I'm collecting scraps in these colors and hopefully soon I'll have some time to piece them together. So much to make, so many interesting things to learn and do.


Finally, I'm sharing a before/after DIY project that I completed a while back but never blogged about. I've got spring/decorating/decluttering on the brain and am trying to work out ways to freshen up my apartment. The first pic is a chair that Beej found on the sidewalk - AKA street treat.

 before

after

I took off that yucky old fabric and pulled out about a million staples and cleaned it up as best I could. Then I covered it with a bit of pretty upholstery fabric from Britex. I can't remember a lot of details about the fabric. It was a bit pricey, but I didn't need much. I have enough of it leftover to do something with.

Well that was kind of a long and scattered post, wasn't it? Anyone else out there shifting over to decor inspiration lately? Must be a spring thing.

Have a lovely week and thank you very much for reading!






4 comments:

  1. Your shirtdress is looking good -- when your finished you should take a picture in that fabulous chair you made beautiful again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your shirtdress pattern combo. The Bruyére is one of my favorite patterns right now.

    Ps. I also nominated you in my Blog Hop Tour post. Tee-hee. You certainly are not shouting to the void :)

    ReplyDelete