Wednesday, July 15, 2015

My First Burda

 IMGP1445

Hello There! Look at what I've got - a dog-eared Spring/Summer issue of Burda Plus. An impulse purchase, for sure. Yes, I've heard all the horror stories - the tracing nightmares, plus adding seam allowances, plus very limited instructions...but a whole magazine full of patterns that I don't have to grade to fit me. Not that I want to make them all. Some are pretty fugly, made fuglier with hilarious styling, props, and textile choices, but I think I can see some possibilities. The question, though, is what patterns will be worth the tracing, marking effort, cutting, frustration, etc. Hmmmm

IMGP1446

THIS, I love....at least on the model. It would be lovely in a drapey rayon. I would have to make sure the sleeves didn't turn out too puffy. Puffy sleeves are not a large busted lady's friend.

IMGP1447

Speaking of large busted, I think I would feel self conscious wearing this in white, but with a little bit more ease in a dark colored swiss dot, I think it would be super cute. I do love wearing tunics.

IMGP1449

This is what I was talking about when I mentioned questionable textile choices. Ew. There are a couple of variations of this basic top without the feather thing around the neck that look okay, and as an added bonus, they include pockets.

IMGP1451

Just going to get up on my soapbox for a moment to say how cool it is to see a plus-sized dress modeled in a joyful, non self-effacing kind of way. Curvy ladies like to rock the party, too.

IMGP1453

A nice basic shape. I like it, but I think I could do the same thing with a Deer and Doe Plantain so maybe not worth the tracing effort.

IMGP1456

Basic, maybe a meh, but I do like the fluttery, asymmetrical overlay of fabric as a design detail. Maybe a good first Burda.

IMGP1457

The model looks great, but look at the line drawing. It looks rather complicated for a basic top. Also, dolman sleeves are not my friend.

IMGP1458

Very pretty. Makes me wish I had a wedding to go to.

IMGP1459

This is another variation of the boa-trimmed one above. I like it much better. Reminds me of a plus-sized Grainline Scout Tee so it might make a good basic.

So what do you think? Do you see any WTTE (worth the tracing effort) patterns here?

Thanks so much for reading. I've got some new projects I'm looking forward to sharing very soon. Also, tomorrow night I will be at How-To-Nighlife presenting some basic hand sewing/embroidery techniques at the California Academy of Sciences, so if you're in the Bay Area I hope to see you there. Have a great week. Cheers!


1 comment: