Friday, October 23, 2015

Greenstyle Laurel Tunic - Exploring New Shapes

IMGP1632

Happy Friday! Hope you're having a great week. I'm currently in Tennessee, visiting my parents, so no sewing is happening. Instead, I'm learning to knit and struggling through a very simple project. I've already unraveled my scarf several times. Oh well,  I thought it would be a portable craft while I'm here, but now I'm wondering if a person can have too many hobbies?
I still have a backlog of projects to share, so today I'm sharing the Greenstyle Laurel Tunic. So, what to say? It's definitely comfortable to wear and easy to put together. I made an extra large. There are three options for the bodice length, and I chose the longest option. I wanted to make sure that there wasn't a line cutting across my bust. I went for the loose cowl version, which I like because it looks nice and clean, but I'd like to try a plain neckband next time.

IMGP1656

IMGP1649

It's a little too roomy in the back, and not all that flattering from the side (sorry for not having pics), but I do like how it looks from the front. I may try sizing down to a large next time. Maybe I could cut the longest bodice in the front and the mid length one in the back and ease them together? Has anyone tried this?  If I sound less than enthusiastic about this tunic/dress, it's only because I made it a while back and lost my momentum. Also, it's been quite warm, so I haven't had many occasions to wear it. I will definitely make another one. It's a fun quick project, and (for me) I like the shape better than the Moneta for a knit dress.

Which brings me to the subject of silhouettes. There are days when I'm feeling frustrated - when I've had a couple of wadders in a row - and I wonder why I'm doing this. Indeed, I don't have to try to sew my own clothes. In fact, I could save myself a lot of money and time if I gave up this particular hobby. Like most of you, I have a number of different reasons for choosing to spend my time sewing, and I would love to hear yours. One aspect I've noticed recently is being able to explore new shapes on my body. Of course, I can do that in a much more timely and cost-efficient manner by simply trying on clothes in the store, but when I'm shopping RTW my mindset is different. When I'm shopping my criteria is as follows:  Will this top fit my bust? How much does this item cost? Do I think this garment is flattering? Do I like the color/fabric/style? ...By sewing I've eliminated the first two questions and am left to focus on the other two. If you're a long-time sewist, this little revelation of mine is probably obvious, but for me, it's been quite liberating. :)

I don't think the Greenstyle Laurel Tunic is a big departure in silhouette -little to no waist definition and tunic or short dress length, but I've also been thinking (obsessing) about other shapes as well. Take culottes, for example: Part of me thinks this might be a bad look for me, but I just gotta try. :) I would love to wear them with boots during the winter. Or with a long button down (open) over a camisole. Or a button down tucked in with a close fitting cardigan.

Culottes for sure #culottes #sewing #sewingblog

Culotte fantasy #sewingblog #culottes

I'm using the Burda Plus size pattern below. The pattern description notes that this style is flattering to "compact shapes." Ha! We'll see. ;) Any new silhouettes that you've tried lately?

Culottes are going to happen #sewingblog #sewingplans #burda

Thanks so much for reading and have a fab weekend. Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. I like to shop rtw for ideas about new silhouettes & to get some ideas about proportions or fabrics I might like in a new style. But I still end up making a couple versions to get the fit just right... But when it's right it tends to be so much better than rtw! So worth it, but sometimes I don't feel like making that investment of time. The tunic looks cute & comfy. Good luck perfecting the fit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Noelle. Shopping rtw purely for intel is a great idea. Might have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your green style Laurel Tunique is really lovely and flattering.

    ReplyDelete