Friday, November 27, 2015

Be Thankful For What You've Got

A new snugly cardigan #seamworkmag #oslocardigan #roomforstuffing

Wise words from William DeVaughn. Beej and I were singing this song, among others, in the car, on the way over to his folks' house yesterday. It's our own little Thanksgiving tradition. Such a lovely day it was, too. So I wanted to share what I made this week. I'm still practicing with more challenging (i.e. silky) fabrics and have been checking out the scarf section in thrift shops as a fabric option. Scarfs are great to repurpose because the fabric tends to be drapey and, depending on what you're making and how you cut it, you already have a perfect baby hem.

IMGP1908

IMGP1874

IMGP1879

I picked up this 100% rayon scarf at Thrift Town, which just so happens to be right next to Fabric Outlet. When I laid it out and saw the border print on either end, I immediately thought about the Akita from Seamwork and remembered this dress hack. A short while later, I had a colorful tunic/minidress  to wear over a camisole and leggings on turkey day. It turned out to be a very comfortable outfit that still felt a little special. The fabric is really thin, so I ended up making the Seamwork Oslo cardigan to wear over it.

IMGP1902


I had been resisting the Oslo cardigan because it looks a little like a bathrobe to me (maybe it's the belted version), but then the temperature dropped and I wanted a comfy cardigan to wear around the apartment. Maybe it's because I had low expectations, but this has turned out to be my favorite sweater. I love the loose weave and the fact that it goes with everything. It comes together really quickly, too.

IMGP1878

Just a few notes because everything was pretty straightforward.
  • For the sweater I stitched it together with a zig zag AND serged it for added security. I didn't want to take any chances since it's a really loose weave. I also hand stitched (slip stiched) the hem and I really like how it turned out.  Stitches just disappear into the knit, and it didn't take very much time at all.
  • Speaking of hand sewing, I've discovered beeswax and it makes a world of difference. I set up a little dish of hand sewing supplies on the shelf, next to the couch, so that I have everything when I need it. 
  • The only surprise in the cardigan construction was the length: I cut an XL, which was fine, but I cut the hem length at XS. It's something I do sometimes so that I don't have tons to hem off and also to save fabric (I had 2 yards of the sweater knit even though the pattern calls for 2.5). However, the shawl collar ended up being about four inches shorter than the rest of the sweater, so next time I will cut that piece at an XL. 
  • The only thing I can think of to say about the Akita hack is that when drawing the hip curve, it only needs to be a gradual curve - at least for my body since I don't have much of a waist. My first attempt resulted in quite a bit of fabric hanging on either side, and I ended up stretching out the hem in the process. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for more scarfs to experiment with.
Thanks so much for reading. Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE your top!!!! What a great print and great to see of the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love how you used the border print of the scarf for the top-it looks like an expensive boutique top! The Oslo looks super comfy too. Oslo does look slightly like a bathrobe, but I still wear mine to death!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Rhonda and Marike! I'm not always the best at spotting stuff in thrift shops, but this one was definitely a score.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you did with the scarf! I'm still new to sewing so it never even occurred to me that such a thing could be done. I'll have to troll the thrift stores myself now. I don't have the Akita pattern yet, but I wonder if it can't be done with the Sorbetto top? That one requires about the same amount of fabric, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! I bet you could make some really cute Sorbettos with scarves.

      Delete