Sunday, February 28, 2016

Roscoe Blouses

One more for flickr. #roscoeblouse #truebiaspatterns

Hey there! Hope you're having a super weekend.

I made two True Bias Roscoe blouses in the last month or so, and while I've made this pattern before and it's a very straightforward pattern, I thought I'd share anyway as it helps me figure out how I want to move forward with crafting my wardrobe.

 IMGP2069

Playing with pretty fabric #annamariahorner #fable #pegasus #sewing

I made the pegasus one in a really lovely rayon by Anna Maria Horner. It looks like they're out of the green I used, but they do have other color ways. My favorite thing about wearing this blouse is that I can wear a top with a whimsical print at my corporate job and still be perfectly appropriate. One issue that I didn't notice until I had already cut out the pieces is that the fabric has a distinct right and wrong side, so I can't really wear it with the ties open. Just something to consider if you decide to make a Roscoe blouse. This happened to me before when I bought fabric online. It's frustrating because there are so many aspects of a textile that are difficult to convey online, but how it looks on both sides isn't one of them.

The second top, with the blue leaves, is my absolute favorite! Purchased at Fabric Outlet during their last 40% off sale, I think it's a voile. It's very thin and semi-transparent, but the dark color and a busy patter keep it from being too see-through. I sewed this one up with french seams and used my rolled hem foot to create a tiny hem at the bottom. I always get a little nervous about breaking out my rolled hem foot, but really it's actually easier since you finger roll the hem to get it started. It's a lot more work to measure, press, and pin a hem, or even do the basting technique for a baby hem. And this fabric is very thin, so it's perfect for a rolled hem - even at the french side seams there were no problems.

image

 I know this picture doesn't show a lot of the blouse, but this is how I actually wear a printed top - i.e. with a solid cardi so as not to be overwhelmed by a print. Also, it was a quick snap on the way to the bus stop.
  • Adjustments for both tops: I shortened the sleeves by 1". Size is 16. Even though there is tons of ease I opted to do a 1" FBA because I wanted it to hang as intended instead of fitting closer in the bust. 
  • I must have done something to one side of the front pattern piece because it didn't line up, which meant I had to true up the neckline. As a result, it sits a bit lower than I like. I tossed out my pattern pieces and will start fresh next time. I do appreciate pdf patterns for this very reason.
 I can probably take a break from tops now. I'd like to make a lightweight jacket for spring/summer - something for the morning chill when I head to the bus stop but light enough for when I head home at the end of the day. I just can't decide on a pattern. I'd also like to resume bra-making at some point, but now that I've found a RTW bra that I like I am less inclined to spend my free time on that.

Thanks so much for reading and have a great week!

11 comments:

  1. These both look great! I haven't tried this pattern but you've got me curious about it now. Bummer that the pegasus fabric has a wrong side - definitely the hard part of shopping for fabric online - still a great print. Love the leaf print too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I am also working on a work-appropriate wardrobe, I will have to give this one a look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! The only problem I've encountered with this top is that close-fitting cardigans can push up the gathered sleeves and make it a little tight in the arms.

      Delete
  3. Those are both so pretty! I love the leaves one, though, especially and it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andie! That's my favorite, too.

      Delete
  4. They are very lovely. I like the combo of a print with a solid cardigan -- you look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Aw, thanks, Annie! Cardis enable me to sneak in some fun colors and pattern into a pretty staid environment.

      Delete