Saturday, May 28, 2016

Sewing Slumps and TNTs



Almost finished with my #deeranddoepatterns lupin.just need cuffs and top stitching. #sewingclothes

Hello! It's been a while hasn't it? Hope you're doing great and enjoying your weekend so far. So, after listing my somewhat ambitious spring sewing plans almost two months ago...nothing, not  a peep. I'm chalking that up to a major sewing slump and an inability to finish my projects due to not being present. I've been sewing lots, but I'm not paying close enough attention to what I'm doing, being sloppy, etc. I've just been focusing most of my energy on my job because it's still relatively new and there's lots to learn. No big deal, life happens and hobbies have to take a backseat sometimes.

So here's a recap of some of my projects and where I'm at with my spring sewing plans.

The top pic is the Deer and Doe Lupin jacket that I outlined in my last blog post and I've been almost finished for weeks now. Seriously, all I have to do is the top stitching and the cuffs, but I'm afraid I'll mess up the top stitching. I think I might take a look at my special sewing feet to see if I have an edge stitch foot or something to help. I also reviewed these tips from the Colette blog (too much work to try to spell the real name) the other night to help shore up some courage.

Melilot in progress #deeranddoeaddict #deeranddoe  #robertkaufmanrosechambray #sewing

And here we have another UFO -- the Deer and Doe Melilot blouse. I've since added the collar and that's where I ran into some trouble. The FBA worked out great, and most pieces fit together nicely, but somewhere along the line my collar came up way too short. I did forget to stay stitch the neckline (see, not being present here), but I can't imagine that it would stretch out THAT much. Anyhoo, I made a little pleat in the back to get the collar to fit, but it all just feels a little sloppy. Not just the collar but also the the sleeve cuffs don't fit exactly.  I'm trying to decide if I need to rip out some stitches and redo some parts. I've learned that a half-ass project won't get worn, so I guess writing that bit just helped me make up my mind. :)

Sweet pattern, but I don't think it's me...#itchtostitch #itchtostitchzamora #indecisione

Next up is the Itch to Stitch Zamora blouse in the same fabric as the Melilot. I really love this Robert Kaufman rose chambray - so lovely to sew with - so I hope I can save at least one of these projects. Itch to Stitch sewing instructions are so amazingly detailed yet concise, and everything went together well, but I ended up just feeling very frumpy with the bow tie. I did not feel like Joan of Mad Men at all. Of course I knew about the bow going in, but I wanted to give it a try anyway.

Any suggestions for how I could make the #itchtostitch Zamora without the bow? I was letting myself be open...but front bows are not a good look for me. Love everything else about it, though. #sewingblog #sewingclothes

Here I have it on my dress form with the bow tucked in. Doesn't it already look so much better? Now this is why I'm such a fan of Kennis Wong and her Itch to Stitch patterns: I left a comment on her facebook page, asking if she would ever consider posting a hack for another neckline option and, well, she did! Talk about listening to your customers! She also posted a tutorial for raising the neckline, which would have to be done first. i.e., some major reconstruction efforts on this blouse. But it's great to have that option and I can always try again with new fabric.

So that's where I'm at with my woven projects. Lots of sewing with just a few bumps in the road. One thing I learned, though, is that I can always turn to lovely, lovely knits to combat sewjo. They are the best for a satisfying project.

First of many #concordtshirt (s). I love the sleeve tabs. #cashmerettepatterns

First off, I made this Concord tee pictured above and can't wait to make more. Just waiting for the appropriate knits to arrive in the mail. I'm sorry I don't have more pictures of me wearing this project; they were all heinous. But here's a detail of the sleeve tab. It was a reversible knit fabric, so I just had to do something fun.

IMGP2229

I love how Cashmerette (Jenny) really thought about what's already out there and what she could bring to the table that would be different. The multiple bodices are definitely the most awesome part, but the sleeve tabs, hem facing, and multiple necklines are great, too. It's just so nice to have so many options. I wish I had bought the pdf instead of the paper pattern, though, because of all these options. I guess I prefer taping to tracing.

IMGP2239

Finally, if you're in sewing slump because of a string of problematic projects, or you're just too damn busy with life to have a lot of time or focus for sewing, a good old (free!) Mandy Boat Neck tee by Tessuti in a fun stripey fabric will never let you down. :)

There's more to share, but I think I'll sign off for now. Don't want to talk your ear off. :) Will be back soon. Thanks so much for reading and have a fabulous weekend!





2 comments:

  1. I like a good fast knit project when I'm in a bit of a slump too. The sleeve tabs are a great touch. Looks like you've done most of the work on the woven ones... Good luck getting them finished!

    ReplyDelete