Saturday, June 4, 2016

Fabric Crush: Shibori Knit

My weekend plans #shibori #knit #britexfabrics #fabric #sewing #sewingblogger

Hello! This is just a quickie because I made another Tessuti Mandy Top, and there isn't much to say about the pattern except I love it. The only change I've made is to lower the neckline a bit so it doesn't hit me at an uncomfortable place at my throat. Other than that, the pattern's aces.

IMGP2256

Here's a heading-to-work snap. I basically ambushed my husband on the way to our streetcar stop. The element of surprise is useful sometimes. I'm on a big knit kick as I credit it with getting me out of my sewing slump. The fabric is a bamboo rayon with bit of lycra (maybe 3-5%) from Britex. I had noticed it on an earlier trip but decided on purchasing this amazing linen (pictured below) instead.

upload

But the shibori fabric stayed in my head, which, incidentally, is a good way to decide on fabric purchases. Then I saw a Me-Made pic of Caroline of Blackbird Fabrics. (I love her blog - such pretty pictures, but she also keeps it real. I've noticed that kind of down-to-earth vibe with other Canadian bloggers as well.) She had made this absolutely lovely Mandy boat neck, using what I'm fairly certain is the same fabric. So I straight up copied her.

She doesn't have anymore of the shibori knit, but Britex does so I ended up using the remainder of my gift certificate. I did some price comparison and was happy to find that her fabrics are totally reasonable (her shibori knit was priced lower than Britex). The Canadian priority shipping is under $19. Since I'm totally addicted to bamboo rayon now, I put an order for four different bamboo rayon knits in and can't wait for it to arrive next week.

In love with bamboo rayon. #seamworkmag #seamworkmakes #seamworkgeneva #sewingblogger

I'll end with a pic of my underpants. This fabric is so pretty and feels so lovely against my skin that I wanted to be sure to use as much as possible. The pattern is the Seamwork Geneva, which is just a basic brief - very comfortable. I'm a bit out of practice sewing elastic, so I referred to this elastic tutorial by Emerald Erin (yet another cool Canadian blogger).

So that's it. Nothing new pattern-wise, but it's nice to have a couple of garments I feel really good about. Have a great weekend and thanks so much for reading!


2 comments:

  1. I really like bamboo knit too. So soft and great drape. This print is really cool - I would love a t-shirt out of it. Stonemountain in Berkeley usually has some good bamboo knits too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noelle, I always forget about about Stonemountain. I was over there all the time (for college and work) years ago but wasn't into sewing then. Thanks for the reminder!

      Delete