Saturday, September 10, 2016

Cashmerette Springfield Refashion

IMGP2529

Hey Folks! Happy weekend to one and all!  So Beej and I are back from our vacation. We went to Vienna and Budapest and had the most amazing time. I'm afraid I'm not a very good blogger, though. I don't have any pictures of me-mades against a fabulous backdrop, and I didn't do any fabric shopping, but I did gain a lot of sewing inspiration as well as some much needed rest and relaxation. I can report that the Marilla Walker dress-hack I wrote about last week traveled well. It was nice and cool on hot days and made me feel put together without feeling too dressed up. I also ended up wearing this (below) little skirt most of the time I was there. It's a denim, Vogue 1247 skirt I made last year and hardly ever wear here because it's too casual for work and it's usually too cold to wear on the weekends (even in the summer). The front pockets were very handy for my phone, map, sunglasses, etc.

IMGP1568

Okay, enough about my vacation. I'm here today to share my Cashmerette Springfield top, which was refashioned or upcycled (I never know the difference) from an ill-fitting, worn-once, bit of fast fashion that was one coffee stain away from the Goodwill bag. I wasn't planning on buying the Springfield because I don't like to show my arms, but then I realized what a good basic shell it would be and also perfect under cardigans. Turns out, it's also good for re-purposing.

I started with this top from Uniqlo...

IMGP2527

I don't indulge in fast fashion very much, especially since I got into sewing, but a while back I was feeling particularly vulnerable after an intense dentist visit and needed a pick me up that couldn't be ingested orally. I didn't even bother trying it on.  After a day of wear at work, I was bothered by the fit around the shoulders and the weird bubbling up of fabric above, and most likely due to, my bust. It looked oversized, but I should have known...

Because I didn't have a lot of fabric to work with, I made the most basic version of the Springfield, size 16 with an E/F cup. I actually made up a muslin (Yes, you read that correctly) in size 18 and from there decided to go down to the 16. I didn't have enough fabric for the yoke, but white is so easy to match. I used a white scrap from my stash with a woven polka dot.

IMGP2547

I'm definitely guilty of maker's love or DIY goggles sometimes, and this certainly isn't my best stitching, but I really love how well it fits. There have been plenty of times when I've thrown a new make over my head and pronounced it a great fit, only to notice half way through my work day major gaping and twisting. I've been wearing this all day, and the fit is good. I also have a not-so-flattering (but hopefully helpful) pic to show how it fits around the shoulders and back. Not bad for a woven.
One thing I forgot to mention when I first wrote this: The bust darts hit me high, so I'll need to lower them the next time I make this.

IMGP2550

All in all, a very nice pattern. Very easy to sew, a good stash buster, and versatile. I'm looking forward to making a few more out of some scraps and wadders in the future. And speaking of Cashmerette patterns, I was planning to take another crack at the Deer and Doe Melilot for my next project when I looked in my inbox this morning and saw that Cashmerette has released a new button-up blouse. Yay! Talk about perfect timing. I've already purchased, cut, and partially sewn this pattern,  so hopefully I'll have another happy make to share soon. In the meantime, I'll leave you with a few pictures taken on the Chain bridge in Budapest by Beej. I'm wearing my bamboo rayon Mandy tee in the first pic. Thanks so much for reading and have a lovely week!

14141671_10154550850699073_4318930301456170688_n

14117840_10154550850704073_7998071970405743328_n






4 comments:

  1. That is a really exceptional fit - it is surprisingly how hard it can be to fit even the most basic of bodices around the shoulder and bust area. I'm glad you had a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It's surprising how hard it can be to fit wovens, which is why I often gravitate to knits. Thanks so much for your kind words, Siobhan!

      Delete
  2. Very pretty top -- especially with the border. Looks like you had a fantastic holiday!

    ReplyDelete