Saturday, November 12, 2016

Me and SJP: We're So Alike

divorce-800-1

Hello fellow sewing friends! I know it's been a while. I will admit that my paucity of posts is directly attributed to being fully consumed with the election here in the U.S.  And while this isn't a political blog, I will also admit that I'm feeling a great deal of pain over the outcome. Seriously....this. hurts. so. much. I really, really want to work on understanding my fellow Americans and to not paint with broad strokes--that's why we got into this mess in the first place and ended up with, in my opinion, a vile man for our next leader--but this is difficult. I can't understand how so many people could be moved by hateful rhetoric and how those who voted with their wallets were able to overlook this. I'm now thinking of ways I can be more active in my community, which, I guess, is one positive result of this (again, in my opinion) horrible outcome. Sigh...Let's just say the healing is going to take a while and leave it at that....

So on to the sewing! I have been making a few things here and there, but since I got back from Europe in September and was blown away by the amazing textiles, especially the embroidery, I've been thinking about focusing on long-form projects. After all, I have plenty of clothes and don't need to make something new every weekend.

Here's a few pics from my visit to the Museum of Ethnography in Budapest. If you're planning a trip, I highly recommend a visit. It really is a must-see for anyone interested in textiles.

IMG_0408

IMG_0426

IMG_0415

IMG_0434

Oh yeah, I should also explain the Sarah Jessica Parker pic at the top of my post. A few weekends back, a friend told me about this textile bazaar happening in my neighborhood. The bazaar was in the basement of St. Anne's church, which is only two blocks from my home. There were all different kinds of textile traditions on display and for sale. It was actually pretty random. Mostly I took pictures, but I did end up buying the remnant pictured below. As you can see it's the same fabric in SJP's dress. I was watching her new show, Divorce, when I noticed this and I couldn't believe it.

Quite smitten with this remnant I just purchased from a textile show happening at the church around the corner from my house. Feels like maybe a rayon blend or poly. Excellent drape. #textile #fabric #sewing #indiesewing

I think it's a rayon/poly blend. Feels cool to the touch. It's quite thin and sheer but not so sheer that you need to line it. I ended up using a TNT-- the Sutton pattern by True Bias-- which is perfect for a chiffon-like fabric. The pattern repeat is small, so I felt I could cut the front in half. Of course I french seamed and baby-hemmed to the best of my ability. I'm sorry I don't have a picture of me wearing it. With the time change and my current schedule and mood, it just didn't happen. If you have a similar body shape and want to see how the blouse looks, check out my previous post on the Sutton blouse. And here's a pic of the final product on Ava.

SJP top is done. Glad I didn't hoard this fabric. #frenchseams  #true bias #sutton #suttonblouse

Well, friends, hope not to stay away so long next time. I will try my best to stay hopeful and kindhearted. Have a lovely weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment