Monday, July 24, 2017

My Little Sewing Space


Hey there! Hope you had a nice weekend. I spent mine getting organized, something I've been wanting to do for a long time, and it felt soooo good! Even though I love seeing other people's creative sewing spaces, I never planned to share mine because:  a.) I don't have a sewing room so my work is spread across my apartment, and b.) It's always been a messy disaster and not beautiful and perfect like so many sewing studios I find myself gazing at. But I'm proud of the work I did to make my space more organized this weekend and, like William de Vaughn says, "Be thankful for what you got."

So my sewing happens in three parts of my apartment: Ironing in the bedroom, serging, cutting, and pattern adjusting in the living room, and stitching in the kitchen. Part of this has to do with the fact that our building was built in the 1920s, and we often blow fuses if we overtax any one outlet. Our living room is actually pretty spacious, and I can have a little cutting table in it without encroaching too much into our living space. There was just way too much visual clutter; I mainly wanted to do something about this eyesore below. 


I found the table on the street (yay, street treat!). If you look at the legs, you will see that they are a good four inches off the floor because of the storage unit below. It means I couldn't move things around and almost tipped over my serger more than once. 


Ta da! So. Much. Better! I can even throw a tablecloth on top and set up a bar if I decide to have a party. The table's cutting space doubles by lifting up the other hinged side. Also, it's on casters so I can move it easily. Here's what it looks like full size -- i.e., with the hinged half of the table up.

The cabinet space really helps to reduce the clutter. I've got my serger, interfacing in the Britex bag, small pieces stash (for small projects, natch), iron, bag of elastic, and a current project all folded up waiting for when I'm ready to work on it some more. I purchased the table on Amazon. I can't in good conscience recommend it. It's what you would expect for less than $200 bucks - cardboard/particle board, etc. For my space and budget, though, it works really well, so I'm happy even if it is a little janky. Also, I have to personally own some of the jankiness since I'm the one who assembled it. It took most of the day on Saturday. (Hilariously, the instructions estimated 50 minutes to assemble.)

The great thing about tidying up, is that it motivated me to organize some other areas. Here's a before and after of my stash. I organized by fabric type -- knits, rayons, cottons, special fabrics (e.g., lace, etc.) This isn't quite everything as I had a number of new additions in the wash. 



The white cube-thingy is mostly filled with patterns. 
I also have one of those Ikea trolleys that everyone else has. I don't have a before and after, so just imagine a "before" with a bunch of crap hanging off it. The dresser is almost entirely filled with craft supplies and scraps of fabric. Crazy, right?

And finally, since I'm in a sharing mood...Here's a pic of the other side of the living room where Beej and I chill. I'm standing next to the couch when I pose in new outfits or position Eva in front of the French doors. The kilim pillows were a fairly recent Etsy purchase, and I absolutely love them. They're a little scratchy since they're made from rugs, so I turn them over to the other side when I'm curled up and it's just perfect.

Thanks for checking out my humble abode. Have a great week! 

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! My sewing space isn't fancy either, and it needs a good tidy and re-sorting. Thanks for some real life inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! It feels so good once it's done, and I always wonder what took me so long to get motivated. :)

      Delete