Wednesday, July 29, 2015

V1247 To the Rescue


Hello and Happy Hump Day again. I guess Wednesdays are a good blogging day for me. So, as you can see, I've made another Vogue 1247 top. You can see my first one here and my second one here. The one I'm posting about tonight, though, didn't start out as a V1247. It was a McCalls 6436 blouse.


I'd been wanting to try a pattern with different cup sizes. RTW button-up shirts that fit me without straining buttons and pulling across the chest are really tough to find, so I thought this pattern would be ideal to try. Pretty early on, unfortunately, I could tell that it was not going to work for me. This is a shape that really deserves a muslin, so (I'm putting it in writing here) if I ever try a similar style pattern I will, for sure, make a muslin of the bodice.


Look at how sad that thing looks just hanging there. The fabric, a combed cotton, was a remnant from Britex. I went in to buy some fusible interface and snatched it up on impulse. I blame the store for keeping the fusible and the remnants on the same floor. It's like putting fancy chocolates next to the checkout register. Anyway, I could tell right away that it was not working. The fabric was too crisp and it was going to be tight. Plus, the cut just wasn't doing it for me. I try to see past the styling on the envelopes with the Big Four, but I could just tell it was going to end up ill-fitting and I wasn't going to enjoy wearing it.


But I just love that color so much, so I salvaged the back and the sleeves (they had been cut but not yet sewn) and made myself a sweet little Rachel Comey top.  For the top part of the bodice, I used some pretty Cotton and Steel fabric from Fabric Worm. I love the fabric at Fabric Worm, but three times now I've ordered something only to get an email a few days later notifying me that they sold out of my order. Three times is a lot considering that I've only ordered from them three times. :) In fact this fabric, though pretty, was a substitute for something they didn't have.

Here's an "action shot" of me wearing my new top. I'm in the act of going to work, or waiting for my streetcar to be more accurate. The photo is a phone snap I asked my hubby to take very quickly. I know that you can't see much of the top with my enormous satchel, sweater, etc., but you get the idea.


Sewing-wise I did a much better job than my first one, which I eventually had to toss due to an olive oil stain. I really love this pattern because it's such a fun sew with the french seams and the panels. I would make more, but then I'd have a bunch of the same top and that might be weird. So that's the latest with me. Hope you enjoy the rest of your week and thanks so much for reading!



  1. Nice save! I love the design in the front of the top and the two fabrics you used. Looks great on you. I have to look this pattern up! I have the McCall's pattern, but I will definitely muslin it after what you said. Also, I love that satchel.

  2. Thanks, Andie! The V1247 also comes with a cute miniskirt that I've been meaning to try.