Hey There! Hope you're enjoying the holiday season so far. For me, it doesn't feel completely mad and exhausting like last year, but it's still early days...
So the last time I posted I was earnestly planning my sewing for the next couple of months. While I've already gotten distracted here and there, I'm happy to say that I completed one project in the queue (this here Seamwork Tacara) and am almost finished another (the DnD Opium Coat). Hopefully, I can finish the coat this weekend. I can tell you right now, I have LOTS to say about it. Let's just hope I can remember it all when it comes time to post.
On to the dress! This is the Seamwork Tacara, which is a cocoon shape, loose, knit dress--basically a giant tee shirt with pockets. I started it the night before and finished it up on Thanksgiving morning, before heading over to my inlaws. It's actually the perfect dress for Thanksgiving with all that room for stuffing and pie. My favorite parts are the fitted 3/4 length sleeves (having one part of the garment fitted kind of holds the whole look together), the cocoon shape, and the binding on the neckline which is turned under (I think it makes it less sporty and more elegant). I've already worn it four times in less than three weeks, which is always a good sign.
Fabric is a viscose jersey from La Mercerie and it's still on sale! I haven't had the best of luck with printed knits, but this one is holding its color well and is super soft and feels luxe.
Hey look, no toilet selfies this time!
I knew I would have to hack a lot of the length off to keep from looking like some kind of harlequin circus tent. It's still oversized, that's part of the design, but I like the length here.
Here are my short-person mods and other notes:
- Shortened front and back at "shorten here" line 4.5 inches.
- Shortened another inch in the bodice section--just below the underarm.
- Shortened arms 1.25 inches.
- Used my serger for most of it, but ended up sewing a zigzag on my machine for the side pockets.
- Used fusible bias on the shoulders. (Very proud of myself for remembering this time.)
- Bit of a drama when I cut the sleeve pieces because the pattern piece and the cutting layout indicated that I should cut two; however, once I started constructing I could plainly see that this was a mistake. Fortunately, I had enough fabric to cut the other two pieces.
One more pic. We went to brunch at the Cliff House, and I'm delighted that Beej got the Camera Obscura in the background.
That's all I've got. Hope to share my coat soon. Have a great week and thanks for reading!