Hello! Hope all is well in your world. As my blog title indicates, I've been doing lots of making but not so much sewing. I'll run through the sewing part first.
Except for a few pairs of underwear, this is pretty much it. Notice a theme here? Working from home, there just isn't much point to dressing up or making new clothes. All I ever wear is sweats anyway, and I've even been known to work in my pjs occasionally. As a result, those are the only clothes that are wearing out. The oven mitts were a thank you gift for a friend who helped me set up my ceramic studio.
Here's a quick rundown (clockwise from top):
- First, we have the perennial favorite Bombazine Mitts. If you've never made these before, I recommend heading straight over to the Bombazine site and downloading this FREE pattern. It's such a great scrapbuster and opportunity to practice quilting. I love giving these as hostess gifts. Remember dinner parties? We're always thrashing our mitts around here, so I'm going to try to squeeze in another pair for myself before the major Thanksgiving cooking this week.
- After six years, I finally made another pair of Hudson Pants by True Bias. I had to dig way back into the Duckndam archives to find my sewing notes. Basically, if you're short like me (5'2"), primarily in the legs, be prepared to wack off some length. I shortened the leg by 4.5 inches. Fabric is a WONDERFUL french terry from Stonemountain Fabrics.
- Yet another pair of Carolyn PJs by Closet Core Patterns. Another SBC favorite. This is my 3rd set, and I always forget how involved this project is. The best tip ever: Someone on instagram said they made the top first to get the labor-intensive part out to the way. Why did I never think of that? Here are my original sewing notes. Adjustments are the same. The only difference is that I made my bias tape (not piping) from scraps instead of using store-bought and avoided the buttonholes entirely by sewing the buttons through since the top just slips over my head. Fabric is a swiss dot from Fabric Outlet that was already in my stash.
- An improv quilted pillow top from lots of linen scraps. I really do love improv quilting, mostly because I hate any kind of math. It's just a simple envelope pillow cover. And even after making this pillow and my mitts, I STILL have a few bits of linen left. Crazy.
- A wonky planter made for Beej and my first go at wax resist. Glaze is Amaco Umber float. I'm currently working on a couple more using this technique and pattern.
- My first glaze fire was to test tiles. I decided to use shapes and turn them into a wall hanging. My idea is that I can easily swap out the shapes and change it up whenever I feel like it.
- This bowl was formed at the base by pinching, followed by coils for height. Inside glaze is beautiful (Amaco Toasted Sage); outside, meh (Iron Luster, I think. quite transparent brown).
- These two vases were made by attaching two hump molds (an old Ikea bowl). I love their round, chubby shape. The little one is glazed with Amaco Turquoise Float, but it's a bit flat. The larger version was underglazed in red, carved and textured with a bath scrubby, and glazed with Amaco Deep Firebrick. I'm actually not all that thrilled with the Amaco glazes, but I had bought a set and have been experimenting.